Xtreme RFID Tags – A Technical Look
Xtreme RFID offers a wide assortment of standard and custom RFID tags suitable for the most challenging RFID environments. Xtreme RFID is an expert in rugged RFID tag manufacturing for intense environment applications. They have been encapsulating RFID inlays in one-piece plastic housings, allowing system integrators to utilize RFID in their applications for over 10 years.
Xtreme RFID specializes in customized RFID tags to track assets in the harshest environments. Xtreme’s rugged RFID tags are used in rugged environments where human interaction is inconvenient or impractical.
The Xtreme RFID Company is a division of Cascade Engineering, an engineering company involved in a variety of industries such as automotive, commercial truck & bus, solid waste & recycling, furniture, material handling, and renewable energy. Their broad portfolio of offerings includes manufacturing products for OEMs, marketing branded products, and providing consulting services. The Cascade Engineering Family of Companies employs approximately 1,600 people – approximately 600 in Michigan area.
Xtreme RFID offers a family of rugged tags that are made for peak performance and reliability. There are seven Xtreme RFID models:
- Duo: The Xtreme Tag Duo is a UHF, rugged RFID tag with IP68 protection and provides resistance to severe impacts, high pressure, outdoor use and a wide range of chemicals which are typical of industrial environments. The Xtreme Tag Duo is your solution to complete and accurate RTI tagging! Within their RTI (Pallet Tagging) Guidelines the GS1 association, an international not-for-profit dedicated to the design and implementation of global standards and solutions to improve the efficiency and visibility of supply and demand chains, recommends that a minimum of two pieces of RFID tags should be placed on an RTI to assure a minimum process security, ensuring ID capture regardless of asset orientation in RFID read zone.
- Flex: The Xtreme Tag Flex is rugged enough to endure the harshest environments, while remaining flexible enough to contour to the shape of your assets. This tag is perfect for applications where a flat, rigid tag just won’t do. The Flex is ready for:
- Wrapping around cylindrical assets; pipes, barrels, containers
- Hanging from assets; flexing under stress and bouncing back to its original shape and location on the asset
- Bending around edges; racks, returnable containers, boxes
Xtreme Tag Flex is a UHF, rugged RFID tag with IP68 protection and provides resistance to severe impacts, high pressure, outdoor use and a wide range of chemicals which are typical of industrial environments. Ideal for any non-metallic surface, Flex can be attached to an asset with rivets, screws or adhesive, or hung from an item via cable or zip-tie.
- Metal: The rugged UHF tag of choice for high performance data collection on any metal asset. The Xtreme Tag Metal features IP68 protection and is engineered to withstand strong impacts, high pressure, outdoor use, and a wide range of chemicals which are typical of industrial environments. This rugged tag is well suited for tracking and management of Returnable Transport Items (RTIs), waste containers, and other metal and non-metal assets that see extreme outdoor conditions. The Xtreme Tag Metal can be attached simply with two rivets or two screws.
- Retro: The Xtreme Tag Retro is one of Xtreme RFID’s smallest and most robust encapsulated tag options. Ruggedized for the harshest environments, this UHF tag allows you to track and manage your assets with confidence. No tools or fasteners required for installation, since the Retro’s clip engages the mounting surface to provide a robust attachment, minimizing labor costs for implementing your asset tracking solution.
- Rivet: This tag nails it for a variety of RFID applications. The Xtreme Tag Rivet is a sturdy UHF RFID tag optimized for non-metal assets that features IP68 protection and provides resistance to strong impacts, high pressure, outdoor use and a wide range of chemicals which are typical of industrial environments. Ideal for any plastic or RF-friendly surface, this high performance tag is geared for extreme conditions and can take just about anything you can dish out.
- Rivet Jr.: The Xtreme Tag Rivet Jr is Xtreme RFID’s latest small form factor rugged RFID tag capable of withstanding the harshest of environments. It can be attached to any plastic or RF-friendly surface with screws or rivets.
- Snap-In: The rugged tag of choice for high performance in harsh environments. The Xtreme Tag Snap-In is a UHF RFID tag with IP68 protection and provides resistance to strong impacts, high pressure, outdoor use and a wide range of chemicals which are typical of industrial environments. Similar in design to our popular Xtreme Tag Rivet model, the Xtreme Tag Snap-In offers an added mounting option. With identical performance specs, the Snap-In can be rivet-attached or snapped into a container recess. Ideal for any plastic or RF-friendly surface, this high performance tag is geared for extreme outdoor conditions and can take just about anything you can dish out.
Each tag is fully encapsulated, has a great read range, and offers multiple attachment methods. Another feature that sets the family apart is their one-piece construction. “No one else manufactures a one-piece construction tag,” says Mike Lewis, Business Unit Leader at Xtreme RFID. “Most tags consist of two pieces that are welded together, and sometimes those welds fail.”
Addionally, Xtreme RFID benefits from over 40 years of plastic injection molding experience. This support gives Xtreme RFID the manufacturing capability to take on massive orders, while remaining agile, lean, and responsive to customers. And since all products are made in Michigan, prototyping and pre-testing are done with great control and efficiency.
Does your project requirements have special needs—especially for extreme environmental conditions– for your tags or labels that Xtreme RFID can provide a solution for? They offer a wide variety of tag and label solutions and should be considered for almost any RFID project requirement you may have.
See the Xtreme RFID web site for the latest information on all of their tags and labels http://xtremerfid.com.